Summer is the perfect time to paint a bathroom – the weather is warmer; paint will dry quickly and you can boot the kids outside while you get the job done. Of course, hiring a professional is certainly an option but if you decide on the DIY route, here are some top tips that will set you on the path to a job well done:
- Paint choice: bathrooms are high traffic areas and susceptible to wear and tear, so a mildew resistant, water-repellent, easy-to-maintain paint (satin or semi-gloss) is the best option.
- Colour choice: versatile colours like white, grey and blue as well as lighter shades are popular as they create a calm and relaxing atmosphere. That said, if you like a bolder look – go for it!
- Remove obstructions: before you paint and clean, remove wall hangings, bathroom products and appliances, and if you can’t reach behind your toilet (etc) remove that too (just remember to turn off the water supply, and flush and drain the toilet before removing).
- Repair blemishes: patch any holes or cracks with filler or a drywall compound; also sandpaper flaking or peeling paint.
- Clean the walls: the paint will not adhere if the surface is unclean. Use a sugar soap solution and sponge to remove any dirt and then wash again with warm water to remove soap traces.
- Prime the walls: if you’re changing colour or patching holes, prime the wall with an undercoat. You can simply ‘spot prime’ where you’ve made repairs if your paint is generally in good condition and you’re not changing colour.
- Masking tape: put masking tape around any fixtures/edges that that need protecting from paint.
- Start with the edges: use a brush around the edges before painting the walls. For best results on walls and ceiling, use a quality, plush roller cover, which will allow you to get as much paint onto the surfaces in the shortest amount of time.
- Apply a second coat: wait at least 4 hours (or as directed) for paint to dry before applying a second coat.
- Wait 24 hours to decorate: play it safe and wait until the paint is drier than dry before removing the masking tape and replacing fixtures and wall art.
Hey presto! – You’ll have an incredible new bathroom.
For all your plumbing and installation needs, feel free to contact the team at AACooper on 01689 485007 or email@example.com – we’re happy to help.