This year, Watersafe, the register for approved plumbing businesses, has teamed up with the government and the Met Office for the Get Ready for Winter campaign, which aims to let homeowners know what they can do to make sure their plumbing can weather the icy temperatures forecast this winter season.
Julie Spinks, Director of WaterSafe said: “We are delighted to be co-ordinating the water sector’s efforts around the Get Ready for Winter campaign.
“One key area of preparation homes and businesses can take is to make sure their property is wrapped up – cold temperatures can cause water inside pipes to freeze leading to bursts, floods and the misery of being without water for drinking, cooking and washing.”
There are lots of simple steps households can take to prepare for a cold winter and now is a great time to get ahead and make sure homes are snug:
- Wrap up pipes and water tanks with lagging – DIY stores have everything you need
- Fix dripping taps – even a small trickle can result in a frozen pipe
- Find your home’s stop tap and make sure you can turn it off – most are under the kitchen sink
- Leave the heating on low if you go away
- Check that your central heating boiler has been serviced
- Keep the name of a plumber handy.
The worst that can happen is a burst pipe; if this does happen, Spinks suggests turning off the water at the stop tap and allowing the thawed water to escape through your tap as normal. Then call a plumber!
For more information on all your plumbing needs, contact the AACooper on 01689 485007 or firstname.lastname@example.org